Monday, May 14, 2007

"Things I've Learned From Trey"

Blues eyes, blond hair and fast as lightening about summed up Trey as a child. He was a towheaded Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn and Dennis the Menace rolled into one. He loved to play, but there were never enough hours in the day. You could find him wearing a cowboy hat, carrying a football in one hand, a sword in the other and wearing a Super Man cape on his back. He was ready for action.


At a young age I learned a lot from him and would like to share it.



As a small child of 3, Trey had a lot of wisdom. He coined the saying
‘2-3-6.’ 2-3-6 is more than infinity. They are the numbers without end. He used to say, "Momma, I love you 2-3-6.” “Daddy, do you know how much I love you?” “2-3-6.” Nothing was bigger than 2-3-6 except God Himself.

I learned Agape love. You should love 2-3-6; without end. You should put your very heart and soul into it, not looking for what you can get out of it, but what you can put into it.

Our Dad had been dead about 2 weeks when one night Trey asked, “Momma, when is my Daddy coming home?” The once alive house came to a dead stop. Melinda and I held our breath waiting to hear what Momma had to say. She gathered Trey in her arms and said, “He won’t be coming home. He was very sick and God took him to heaven to live with Him.” Trey looked from Momma to Melinda to me and then back to Momma. He squared his shoulder, squinted his eyes and looking very mad announced, “Then I don’t love God anymore.”

I learned you can be 100% honest with God about all of your feelings and He will still love you 2-3-6.

Trey would play with his trucks for hours. If you would listen you could hear him singing, “I’ve got a cloudy, I’ve got a cloudy on my horse. In the wonder, in the wonder bring it back again.” He proudly informed Melinda and me one day, “That is my favorite song. Ya’ll sing too.” We tried, but didn’t quite do it justice.

I learned don’t separate your worship of God from your daily life. The two go hand in hand like Oreo’s and milk. He had taken 2 songs “Unclouded Day” and “Green Gravel, green gravel the grass is so green” and made one song. We are to take our worship of God and our daily life and blend them together, never separating the two.

One Christmas brought wonderful treasures to us kids. The tree held its usual wonder; with brightly wrapped gifts snuggle beneath its branches. The excitement in the air was contagious as we sat around opening each gift that seemed so magical. There were dolls for Melinda and me, a Farmer Says and Busy Box for Trey. Melinda’s and my eyes seemed to sparkle with excitement with each gift received. Trey attached himself to the first gift our Daddy opened, a package of work socks. He wasn’t interest in opening any other package nor the new toys. He just continued to wade through the wrapping paper clutching his new found prize, work socks.

I learned to look beyond all the glitter and sparkle and to focus on the simple things in life.

Digging in the dirt, going to work with Daddy and playing trucks were just a few of the things Trey enjoyed. One of his favorite games was riding horses. Melinda was his horse, Mary Legs. They would play for hours on the living room floor. Occasionally Mary Legs would dump Trey in the floor and his laughter could be heard echoing through the house, neither seemed to tire of the game.

I learned to look outside the box; whether looking at people or things one should always see the possibilities.

Today, you can still learn from Trey www.treymorgan.net

11 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

You are more than good to me with this cool post. Thanks for the kind words and all the memories. And I still love you 2-3-6.

:)

Monalea said...

Awwwww, thank you. I know you were scared when I told you yesterday that today's post was about you. Did you have trouble sleeping???

Love you also 2-3-6
Monalea, The Coolest Sister in Town

Anonymous said...

How cute! It seems that Trey was a teacher and preacher long before he got paid for it. (o; Very sweet!

I've wondered what 2-3-6 meant. Do those particular numbers mean anything, or were they just a random choice?

Hope you had a great day yesterday!

The Preacher's Household: said...

I hope you had a great Mother's Day as well.

What a cutie! I am glad that you did more than paid for Trey's raising - that you consider yourself blessed to have been a part of it.
ya sista

TREY MORGAN said...

2-3-6 is out of the bag. Why don't you tell them about www? Or are you scared a house will fall on you?

Mommysmart said...

That is an awesome post! I have learned a lot from Trey, too. He sort of popped into my life when anyone other than my parents was who I would listen to. He had a great way of agreeing with them in a way that made me agree with him. My life would not be the same had Trey not been in it. He is a peacemaker and he lives his sermons. I don't know one single person that doesn't love Trey. He is like the Sara Lee commercial!

Neva said...

What a great post! How awesome it must be to have a brother who was also a Christian.
Love
Neva

PS--I learn something from Trey almost everyday. You probably ought to keep him. :)
n

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading the kind things you have to say about, and to, each other. Pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Trey, www (Wise, Wonderful Woman) already told everyone what your nickname for her is. How'd you miss that? Oh yeah, because you never read my blog anymore.

Anonymous said...

Goodness. I always thought Trey was a great guy, but when a sister heaps that kind of praise...I may have to re-think the degree of his greatness. Excellent job,Monalea.

mdphotoworks said...

Well, once again I've been reminded of how blessed I am to have been brought into this wonderful Simmons family. You are such a delightful person and I loved hearing about some of your childhood events--especially about how it's okay to be upset with God and He still loves us. Thank you for sharing with me--I wish I could give you a big hug!! Thanks for cluing me in on the best kind of love--the 2-3-6 kind. Keep it coming. I love you 2-3-6 !!!