Saturday, May 5, 2007

AMBER

In the spring of ’97, Amber barely 16, began coming to church with a family she had met through school. She never missed a service, youth activity or church function. Freckles splashed across her nose with her long brown hair usually pulled up in a pony tail. She was quite likeable with the young and old. She had flashing brown eyes, a quick smile and a spirit that said, ‘Never give up.’ Her usual attire was worn and faded jeans, tee-shirts and tennis shoes. She was quick to learn and happy to help. In her eyes, if you looked deep enough was a longing for something.

Amber became close to the girls, Rachel 14 and Rebekah 11. I had sensed the longing in Amber's heart even before she was aware of it. Her desire for something different began to whisper to me, it seemed to reach out to me and touch me. As a human I wanted to distance myself from this yearning. As a child of God’s I wanted to go where He led. In my heart I longed to fill her longing of love, safety and acceptance, but my head kept screaming, “I don’t want to go to ‘Nineveh!’” I, like Jonah did not want to go to Nineveh. But I also did not want to be swallowed by a big fish. I would go to Nineveh!
A week or so later Rachel and Rebekah begged to have Amber spend the night. In my heart I knew that if she spent the night, she would be with us always. In ’98 we made it legal and adopted Amber.

There were tough times and there were blessed times. We all learned to grow close and accept the other’s shortcomings. There were times I thought ‘What have we done?’ And then God would ever so gently show us the blessings.

Amber is as much a child of ours as the other three. I believe the word ‘adopted’ is a matter of the mind and love is a matter of the heart. She has grown into a beautiful, God loving woman that any parent would be proud to call daughter. She and her husband are currently expecting their 1st baby; our 2nd grandbaby.

Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

14 comments:

Neva said...

How amazing that God used Amber to bless you so.


Peace
Neva

Monalea said...

Neva,
In so many ways He blessed us that it would take several blog pages to even begin.

Monalea

TREY MORGAN said...

Monalea,

I've always been so impressed with your family's ability to love others. You guys have always been such an example of love and acceptance. Amber is just an example of your love. And she's a reward because of it too.

Our family has been blessed by your decision to be so loving.

PS - Love the picture of Connor.

Monalea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monalea said...

Thank you, Trey

Anonymous said...

Monalea, I'm sure you make God smile everyday.

Monalea said...

nb, awwwww thank you! I needed to hear this today.

Monalea

The Preacher's Household: said...

Beautiful bride and a handsome boy, don't you think so Trey?
Good for you that you were willing to give and good for you that you were blessed!
kathy

TREY MORGAN said...

Monalea,

Talked this morning in my sermon about adoption and our adoption by God. I talked about our combining Baird's and Morgan's and the family oneness. And, I shared the beautiful story of Amber.

Love ya

Monalea said...

Kathy,
I was pulled in so many ways. Funny thing? The more I learn to trust in God the easier it is.

Trey,
I'm glad you could share the stories. I would have loved to hear your sermon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the article about Amber. We had always wondered how she came to join your family but we were skeered to ask.

Monalea said...

Dear Frogtown,
We just assume that everyone knew. You can ask us anything, just anything; well almost anything. Well, maybe not just anything. How about something. Is something ok with you????

I'm tired!

Anonymous said...

I remember when she was keeping Eddie...He loved her so much...And now look she is going to be a mommy...She will be a great one at that...She has had alot of practice babysitting everyone's kid here in town...Can't wait to see him...Love Me

Monalea said...

Hey precious friend, Amber has loved children forever and is so good with them. She needs to have a lot, actually I think they are planning 3 or 4.

Monalea