Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Messen with Sasquatch"




When we lived in Houston, Daryl would sometimes come in from work exhausted, bathe and go straight to bed. The kids and I would spend the evening watching TV or playing. One evening after Daryl went to bed; I got the kids in bed and sat for a while relaxing. The more I relaxed the more my head began to hurt. I took some Tylenol but it didn’t seem to help. I decided to go to bed with the heating pad on my neck and head.


I dug the heating pad out of the closet and quietly went to my side of the bed and began to look for the outlet. I discovered one behind the headboard of our water bed. Gently I worked to get the heating pad plugged in, but my arms were just too short to reach it without moving the headboard.



I stood for several minutes feeling a little guilty about waking Daryl up but then decided my head really did need some relief. “Daryl, Daryl?” I whispered. “Daryl?” He lifted his sleepy head off the pillow and tried to focus. “I’m so sorry I had to wake you, but I need help moving the headboard so I can plug in the heating pad.” He looked a little confused but continued to get out of bed, staggering a bit.




First we removed the side rails, and then we both lifted the headboard. I plugged in the heating pad and we proceeded to put the headboard back. Things were going well as we replaced the side rails. Daryl’s side rail came off the bed and hit his foot. Now his eyes were wide open and the dazed confused look was gone and was replaced with rage and murder. I took a deep breath and held it.






He bent down, picked up the 6 foot rail, and lifted it above his head and screamed a long sorrowful sasquatch mourn............. ”Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.” I waited patiently for the rail to be launched in my general direction, but it never came. He once again replaced the rail, climbed back in bed and was fast asleep in minutes. I stood with my eyes wide and mouth agape for several minutes until I became aware I had survived another ‘Monalea’ moment and come out alive.

The next morning the 'rail incident' wasn't' mentioned.

I Corinthians 7:28 “But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.”

Paul knew what he was talking about!

15 comments:

The Preacher's Household: said...

Amen, I have not thought of using that passage that way - you may see it again on one of my post! Too funny.

My problem is that I have a sleep disorder that I act out my dreams and talk a lot - especially when I am really tired. This does not let James get much rest. Depending on how much he needed that sleep it will either be amusing or annoying to him in the morning. It is then that the sasquach comes out.

It really is a lot of fun to be married. How else do you get a 24 hour view of someone's oddities.

sista Kath

Monalea said...

Yo Sista Kat,

Your put it so well into words. When I was young I would walk in my sleep and talk.

Marriage - 24 hour view of someone's oddities! You said it.

Monalea

Neva said...

LOL! I am afraid there might be women Sasquatch too---I am pretty sure Ned sleeps with one! :)

Peace
Neva

Anonymous said...

Sista Mon
This may be the reason the three of us haven't gotten together for a slumber party. That could get 'harry'.
sista Kat

Monalea said...

Neva, I was unaware there were so many sasquach out there. Poor Ned!

Sista, You have said a mouth full, but it would be fun.

Monalea

Anonymous said...

hahah
loved the scripture reference

that is so life

brian

Monalea said...

Brian, I'm glad you see the humor in life too. It's what makes it bearable.

Monalea

TREY MORGAN said...

Thanks for the BIG laugh....knuckle head!

I'm still praying for Daryl. He'll get an extra star in his crown for living with you. :)

preacherman said...

Great post.
It is so funny.

Neva said...

You okay?

Mike Minzes said...

Great post M! I like the lesson and the words at the end.

Neva said...

Where are you?


Miss ya

n

Anonymous said...

I'm concerned for you too - are you ok?

Sista Kath

Monalea said...

Trey, I haven't been called Knuckhead in years. Thanks for the memories.

Glad everyone enjoyed this. I enjoyed writing it.

Sista Kath and Neva, been having more health problems. Waaaaaaa, call the waaaambulance! Thanks for asking.

Mommysmart said...

Great post and even better scripture reference.

Thanks for your comment about normal being a setting on a dryer. That really should be a title to a post.

You crack me up!

Monica