Monday, August 6, 2007

"My Power is Made Perfect in Weakness"




Before cancer I was a ‘ball of fire’ and a ‘whirlwind’ rolled into one. I would have the kids schooled, the house in order, supper planned all before 10:00 in the morning. If a difficult task was sat before me, with the help of my children we would knock it out in record time and do a good job. The harder the task, the more ‘we’ enjoyed it. I called the difficult tasks ‘Character Building Times.” I’m not always sure my children felt about this like I did, but it was ok, it built character. My children used to say, “Mom, if they would put you on juvenile community service detail there would be no more crimes committed by juveniles and the community would look really good.”

Times have changed, I have changed. Cancer has extinguished the ‘ball of fire’ and stilled the ‘whirlwind.’ My heart desires to tackle a task big or small, but my body doesn’t comply.

II Corinthians 12: 8-9 “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."


I, like Paul have desired a physical healing from the Lord. Down deep in my heart I want to know “That His grace is sufficient for me, and His power is made perfect in my weakness.” I want to be able to “boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” But I haven’t reached this place yet. I can’t even imagine the deeper relationship I will have with the Lord when I accept this.

7 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

Life lessons are the hardest lessons of all. I heard a lady in a wheel chair one time say that she was in that wheel chair because God could use her more there than He could when she had the ability to walk.

I've always thought about that. Would I trade my life now for something different ... just to be closer to God? To be used more by Him?

Tough questions.

I'm glad you are who you are.

David Kirk said...

God cares more about our spiritual health, huh? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

God was using the whirlwind and the consuming fire. Now He is simply the still quiet voice.

James

Monalea said...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sometimes when you are too close to the forest you have a hard time enjoying the trees.

Monalea

Neva said...

A ball of fire is so much more difficult to hug! :)


Peace
Neva

Monalea said...

Neva,
Words of wisdom see to pour from you. Thank you! I had forgotten.

Monalea

The Preacher's Household: said...

I am in the tornado earthquake stage. I can't seem to find the right kind of shelter for the combination. I was thinking today about using this scripture as a post:

11The LORD said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.”
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 1 Kings 19:11-12