Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Meeting



I met Daryl at a skating rink while we were both in College at Lubbock Christian. He was playing roller hockey. He was tall, 6 foot 3, handsome with a charming smile and green eyes. My friend Brenda introduced us.

We spent the evening visiting about classes, teachers, likes and dislikes. I enjoyed watching him play roller hockey. Before the evening was over he had asked to meet me in the Sub the next morning and walk me to my first class.

I’m basically a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal, but this morning I wanted to make an impression. I spent extra time on my hair and makeup. I picked out a favorite dress and borrowed my roommate Jackie’s high heels. I surveyed myself in the mirror and with a smug smile thought “He can’t help but notice me.”

I walked across campus with my head held high and with confidence. I carried my books under my left arm and my purse over my shoulder. The closer I got to the meeting place the more nervous I became. Several times I had to still my racing heart.

When I entered the Sub it was crowded. I had to make my way through the throng of people. “What if he doesn’t show?” I questioned. “What if we miss each other?” And then I turned and he was beside me.

“Monalea” Daryl said. I was caught off guard. Where was my 6 foot 3 guy? It was the same guy I had met last night. The same charming smile and handsome face, but he was 5’11 this morning. I stammered, sputtered, choked and turned red. I had been so right, “He couldn’t help but notice me”, because now I towered above him.

I surveyed him up and down. There was something definitely different about him this morning……..he was missing his roller skates! With his skates on he had been a good 3 inches taller and now he was a good 3 inches shorter than me.

I finally found my head and said, “I have to go back to my dorm room for a minute.” “That’s fine,” Daryl said. “We can meet at 12:00 by the swing and then have lunch together.” “Will that be ok?” “Sure” I smiled regaining some of my composure.

Back in my room as I changed from the dress and high heels and donned my jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes, I breathed a sigh of relief. From now on I would just be me. No more being something I wasn’t. If he liked me, it would be for me.

This September we will celebrate our 28th anniversary. We often look back at our years in college and laugh about all the little things that seemed so important at the time.


Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."

6 comments:

TREY MORGAN said...

6'3" ? Those must have been 8 inch skates. I think he's more like 5'2".

Sorry Daryl, I do love you and I like the story.

Matt said...

good story monalea, it is so much fun to hear how people meet.

have a great Sunday tomorrow

matt

Monalea said...

Trey,
You know when Daryl reads this he will probably just shake his head back and forth and not say anything. I may have to pretend to be him and write something proxy.

Matt,
I was waiting for you to write, "It's so much fun to hear how old people meet. Ha ha!

Monalea

Mike Minzes said...

GREAT STORY!!!!

BTW, I am still laughing from this:
"I think Al Gore thinks he invented global warming too".

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOROTF!!!

-0-0-

The Preacher's Household: said...

I was wondering if I had a height perception problem when I first started reading this. It made sense in the end! Very good.
I think that is one of the ways you can tell if that person is the one for you - if you can be yourself for them.
Kathy

Anonymous said...

HOW CUTE!!! you are dad are so cute! as i was reading that i could see myself. i get alot of my goofy, yet perfect-ness (if that is even a word) from you! i love you so much mom :)

your favorite daughter in portland :)