Wednesday, October 28, 2009

S Q U E E Z E



When I was 8 years old I got to make an unexpected trip to Amarillo with my Mom and Dad. My Dad had cancer and was going for a treatment. On the trip up, there was laughing and visiting. On the trip home, there was much silence. Dad lay in the back seat and was sick. I too sat in the back seat and tried to care for him as well as any 8 year old could. Sometime during the trip he reached over and took my small hand in his and squeezed it 3 times and said, “Each squeeze represents a word.” And with each squeezed he said, “I love you!” I in turn squeezed back, “I love you.” But this time he answered my 3 squeezes with 4. I cut my eyes down at him with a questioning look on my face and he said, “That was ‘I love you too’.” So during the remainder of the trip we spoke deep and profound things without saying a word. The following year he lost his battle with cancer.

This past Sunday, my grandson Daniel sat beside me and took my hand and squeezed it 3 times, I in turn squeezed his 4 times. As we cut our eyes around at each other we knew that our silent words were speaking loudly for all to hear, “I love you!”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I did as I read this was cry

Monalea said...

My sweet Anonymous daughter, I didn't mean to make you cry. Only to encourage you to make memories today that will carry on into tomorrow.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I am honored that God gave me another day with u

TREY MORGAN said...

I've always known we do this ... but never knew until now where it came from. Loved the story.

Anonymous said...

I started that with your dad when we first married in 1954. I remember how excited I was when he came out of his first surgery in 1967, and he looked so bad, and so drugged but I took his hand and squeezed and slowly he faintly squeezed back. Love you, thanks for teaching your children and grand children. You will use it many more times. It is so handy.
Papa and I do it, too.

Monalea said...

Mom, Thank you for giving us 'the rest of the story' I love you! You are a pretty amazing woman

hapi said...

Hi Monalea, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Apon Gazi said...

so good it has a deep meaning. all of us missed our closed relative.althouth parent is not our relative they are our soul.
apon gazi

TESOL Study said...

next post,,, :)

Unknown said...

Three words, eight letters: I love you! including all.


I often buy Guild Wars 2 Gold at the following webpage: http://www.vipgw2gold.com/